Training at the Trust
Our Trust has a longstanding reputation for the delivery of high quality undergraduate and postgraduate medical education.
We have over 100 postgraduate doctors in training, including foundation trainees, trainees in general practice (GP), and core and higher specialty trainees in psychiatry. Most services employ at least one trainee. Each trainee has an educational and clinical supervisor. As well as regular meetings with their educational supervisor, trainees have weekly hourly meeting with their clinical supervisor. In addition, trainees receive training in the workplace and attend local educational programmes.
The Trust is a lead provider of training programmes in core psychiatry training and higher specialty training in general adult and old age psychiatry. We are a local education provider for other higher specialty training programmes where the lead providers are the South London and Maudsley Foundation NHS Trust (for forensic psychiatry, child and adolescent psychiatry and the psychiatry of learning disability) and UCL Partners (for medical psychotherapy).
In addition, we host GP and foundation training posts on the South West London training programmes.
Undergraduate medical students are based at St George's University of London, with over 250 per year being taught by our staff. Most Trust services host medical student attachments.
Benefits of training with us
- Clinical experience in a variety of services at a range of sites
- Experience of a wide range of specialties
- Experience of different cultures and the impact of this on mental health
- A variety of on-call experience - in the local community and Emergency Departments, and on the psychiatry inpatient wards
- A specially tailored induction programme
- The weekly Academic Programmes
- The MRCPsych Course for core psychiatry trainees
- Psychotherapy experience, including a weekly supervision group
- Trainee social events
- A mentorship programme for core psychiatry trainees
- Trainee representation on various Trust committees
Our educational facilities
- Postgraduate Centres - There are two main Postgraduate Centres within the Trust based at Springfield and Tolworth Hospitals. Each Centre has postgraduate staff who organise the academic programmes and support the local trainees.
- Library facilities - Library services are provided for all staff to support evidence-based clinical care, education and training, and service development. All Trust staff are automatically members of the libraries.
- Physical Health Skills Lab - The Physical Health Skills team provides a comprehensive range of training courses in physical health care within the Physical Health Skills Lab, including key mandatory courses for all staff. The aim of the team is to create a centre of excellence in physical skills training for staff. The Lab also has audio-visual equipment for filming that can be used for educational purposes.
Trainees can apply for study leave and funding to revise for postgraduate exams and to attend external training.
We encourage our trainees to undertake training in teaching and presentation skills. We also ensure that all our higher specialty trainees undertake the training required to become an educational supervisor, as soon as they take up their first consultant post.