Richmond and Barnes Hospitals Redevelopment
As part of the Trust's ongoing programme to modernise buildings and deliver more community services we have been developing options for our Richmond Royal and Barnes Hospital sites.
Richmond Borough update
The Richmond Royal and Barnes Hospital sites are currently underused and their condition and design make them unsuitable for modern mental health services.
Due to the listed status of the Richmond Royal site and the age of the buildings on both sites, it is not possible to create an environment to suitably meet modern mental health care standards for our patients and deliver a good working environment for our staff.
All surplus funds raised from any sales will be redirected into our frontline services across the five boroughs we serve. In addition, some of the funds raised will also be invested into the building of our two new state-of-the-art hospitals in Springfield and Tolworth.
In December 2015, the Richmond Royal site was declared surplus in order to raise the funds needed to support our wider Estates Modernisation Programme. As a result the site was placed on the market in January 2017. We will be retaining a presence at Richmond Royal and intend to still provide high quality services from the site. Services and staff levels within the borough of Richmond will not be reduced as a result of the estates work and we are currently working with staff, patients and local representatives to establish some new locations within the borough for some of our services.
Inpatient services have not been provided at Barnes Hospital since 2013. The site is underused and its condition and design make it unsuitable for developing modern mental health inpatient care.
Following an initial stage of marketing to inform our options for the site, the Trust has been working with CPMG Architects to develop a vision for the site which could deliver new homes alongside improved healthcare facilities and provide land for a new school. The Trust will be retaining the Garden House and this will be used to continue to deliver existing services at Barnes Hospital and we are currently working with Richmond CCG to establish if other community healthcare uses could be placed on the site.
We held a public consultation on Friday 10 and Monday 13 November on the plans for the Barnes Hospital site. You can view the exhibition boards below and submit comments through our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/Barnesconsultation17
Barnes exhibition boards
Next steps in the Barnes Hospital consultation – November 2017 update
At the start of November we held a two-day consultation to display our initial plans for the future of Barnes Hospital. Unfortunately due to an issue with the Royal Mail, our newsletter publicising the consultation was not delivered with the intended two weeks’ notice.
We fully appreciate the high level of local interest surrounding the development of this site and the need to provide sufficient notice of consultation events. Therefore, in order to ensure as many local residents can view the plans in person and give their feedback, we are holding a further date of public consultation in December.
This is taking place on:
Thursday 7 December 2017 from 4pm to 8pm
Garden House, Barnes Hospital, South Worple Way, SW14 8SU
Representatives of the Trust will be on hand to discuss the plans with you and listen to your views. We look forward to meeting you.
If you would like additional information regarding the work taking place in Richmond borough then please email email@example.com.
We know you expect a lot more from your career than a salary (though we know that's also important).
We value your expertise and the important work you do so in addition to the opportunities to develop your skills in specialist areas or leadership roles, you will also have access to a variety of excellent benefits including:
Pay, pensions and leave
Our financial benefits form are key incentives for everyone who works at our Trust
- Pay - Most NHS salaries are determined by Agenda for Change bands and these can be found on the Department of Health website. For Agenda for Change bands visit the Department of Health website or visit NHS Employerswebsite.
- Generous pension - All contracted NHS staff can become members of the NHS pension scheme. This excellent package of pension benefits is fully protected against inflation and guaranteed by the government
- Leave - Depending on your length of service you could receive up to 33 days of annual leave and eight days public holiday as well as the chance to apply for special leave and career breaks. We also provide you with support to undertake volunteering activities.
Our range of benefits has been created to help you get the most out of working with us:
- NHS discount schemes - As an employee of the Trust you will have access to discounts of up to 10 per cent from a variety of well-known retail brands though Health Service Discounts website.
- Cycle to work/Bike loan - You can benefit from tax-free Cycle to Work Scheme which means you can get a bike for use mainly for travel to and from work. We also have shower facilities and lockers available.
- Childcare vouchers - If you meet the relevant criteria, childcare vouchers are available through payroll as part of a salary sacrifice scheme. We also offer an extensive childminding network and links with local childcare providers and holiday activity camps such as Barracuda's who offer discounts for NHS staff.
- Season ticket loan - All staff are eligible to apply for an interest free season ticket loan up to the value of £10,000.
- Subsidised car parking - You can park at any of our sites at a reduced rate of £1/day or £12/month.
- Car lease scheme - Permanent staff can take advantage of our car lease scheme. You can choose any car that is available in the UK, subject to Trust approval.
- Staff restaurants - With staff restaurants at both Springfield Hospital and Tolworth Hospital we also operate a virtual deli for those who are short on time and want to avoid the queues. We also have many vending machines offering a range of sandwiches, crisps, confectionery and Costa Coffee.
- Work life balance - Flexible working We recognise the importance of helping you manage your work life balance and support a range of flexible options, such as: part-time working, job sharing, term-time working, compressed hours and working from home.
- Eye examinations - Staff who use a computer on a regular basis as an essential part of their work are entitled to a refund for the cost of an eye test. Where staff members require glasses or contact lenses for screen-based work the Trust will also refund the cost of standard glasses with basic lenses, up to a maximum of £55. Discounts are offered at Spec Savers and Vision Express.
- Looking after your health - We offer lots of support for staff to help you look after your health, ranging from support for staff who want to stop smoking and free annual flu vaccinations to discounts at local leisure centres and discounted membership at the gyms at St George's Hospital, Fitness First and Tolworth Recreation Centre.
- Free gym membership - In addition to discounted membership at a number of local leisure centres and gyms, staff can access the gyms at Tolworth hospital and Springfiled Hospital for free.
We know that you are looking to develop your career with us, so we have developed a number of opportunities.
- Learning and Development - We invest heavily in your learning and development. In 2014/15, we commissioned a total of 11008 CPD and professional development places for staff. Our 2014 Staff Survey results showed that 84% of staff reported receiving job-relevant training, learning or development in the last 12 months, placing the Trust in the top 20% of mental health trusts for this key finding.
- Career progression - There are plenty of opportunities to progress your career and we support your development through a number of programmes such as mentoring, coaching, positive people management, collective leadership and other talent programmes.
- Work opportunities - We offer a number of varied and challenging work opportunities, as well as secondments, mentoring schemes and work shadowing programmes
An important issue and a key benefit.
We currently have keyworker housing available at both Springfield Hospital and Tolworth Hospital and NHS clinical staff may qualify for the Key Workers Living programme, which can help you with buying an affordable home.
Please visit direct.gov
website for more information.
Working in a responsible job in a challenging environment can be stressful. It is all too easy for things to pile up and for you to need some assistance. This is why we provide a free, independent and confidential support service through our employee assistance programme.
This support is avalaible for 24 hours a day and includes advice on:
- debt and financial management
- legal and tax advice
- family care
- everyday matters
- emotional support
This service is there to help you and shows how much we truly value your contribution to our team.
There are also social clubs which you can join, including the Trust running club - which celebrated its fifth anniversary this week (Tuesday 13 September). Although members have changed over this time, there is still a hard-core of members who joined at the inception and still turnout regularly to run for an hour on a Tuesday evening.
Find out more about the running club
Finding your feet
Starting any new position can be challenging, especially with a leading mental health trust like ours.
We succesfully treat, employ and train an enormous range of people at our trust and are well used to helping new staff members fit in to their new roles.
We will consistently support your career development through a number of well-established programmes such as mentoring, coaching, positive people management, collective leadership and other talent programmes.
If you are finding it difficult to cope with conventional work hours we can offer flexible working hours, including options to work from hope, job sharing etc. We also offer benefits to help with your health.
Surveys show that our people like working with us, and we are sure you will too.